By Tracy Brookshier, Marketing Coordinator
January 30, 2020
We Honor Veterans provides tiered recognition to organizations, known as Partners, that demonstrate a systematic commitment to improving care for Veterans. There are four levels that partners can achieve in the program. Partner organizations assess their ability to serve Veterans and, using resources provided as part of the program, integrate best practices for providing end-of-life care to Veterans into their organization.
We Honor Veterans provides educational tools and resources in advancing these goals:
- – Promote Veteran-centric educational activities
- – Increase organizational capacity to serve Veterans
- – Support development of strategic partnerships
- – Increase access and improve quality
In the year 2019 we went from one to four stars in this nationally recognized program. Our level two was awarded in June of 2019, level three in July 2019 and our fourth and final star was earned in August of 2019. From here we will continue to keep moving forward with the education and tools we have received from this program and are excited to continue to implement more veteran specific programs and policies into our program.
In this time we have implemented and initiated the following programs:
- Veteran to Veteran Volunteer Program: Volunteer veterans who help us give our veteran patients someone to communicate with and assist us in properly thanking them for their service through special ceremonies.
- Veterans Speaking to Veterans Group: We teamed up with our local YMCA to facilitate a space for veterans to speak freely with other veterans in our area.
- Wrap a Veteran: Custom Patriotic blankets that we give to our veterans in our hospice care.
- Veteran Appreciation Fair and Flag Dedication Ceremony: Getting the community involved in giving a special thanks to our veterans and offering veteran specific resources for those in our area.
- Veteran Appreciation Ceremonies: Small ceremonies at our local nursing homes and assisted living facilities with the help of our local VFW & American Legions to show our gratitude and appreciation for those who have served.
- Veteran Resources: Bringing veteran resources that are not available in our rural area to our agency for the community to take advantage of.