We have all heard the phrase “social distancing” way too much recently. We are encouraged to remain in our homes, not socialize, not go to work unless we are “essential” and limit our movement throughout our community. Even though we all need to do our part to follow social distancing guidelines, we also have to remember that our support system is so important in helping us navigate through our grief journey. Here are some tips to assist us with staying connected to our support systems during this time:
- Talk to at least one friend a day. This can be over the internet or on the phone. The main point is just to engage with someone each day that you feel can support you. Use this opportunity to listen to each other and provide support or simply just chat.
- Send someone you love a handwritten note. This may be considered a lost art. Before the world of technology, we always communicated through the good ol’ paper and pen. This will help you focus on positive feelings towards these individuals and give you a chance to express your thoughts and feelings.
- Use video chats. The world of technology can be a blessing at times. Schedule times to video chat with family or friends to stay in touch. This will allow you to still see their face and enjoy the interaction but with plenty of social distancing space between you.
- Use social media. There are tons of social media sites that can help you stay connected with others. Post updates, pose questions, get feedback, and send out love and support to others. Just be mindful of the negativity that can often be spread and do not allow others to ruin your interactions.
- Join an online community. There are online sites that offer free communities for just about every group, club, hobby and personality out there. From exercise groups, to book clubs, to grief support; there are options out there for everyone.
Being creative will be the key to socializing and maintaining a healthy support system while social distancing.
Ways to support self-care:
- Diet – Pay close attention to what foods and drinks you are putting into your body. Try to make sure that you are eating healthy and balanced meals and snacks and limiting the amount of sugar you consume each day. And don’t forget to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Exercise – Daily exercise can help both your physical and mental health. It can assist with decreasing stress and anxiety and can assist with improving mood. If you are unable to get to the gym daily, you can incorporate simple exercises such as walking and yoga to get you moving.
- Sleep – Your sleep habits can have such a huge effect on your physical and mental health. Set up a good night time routine and try to stay away from caffeine and sugar before you try to sleep. Get rid of distractions in your bedroom such as televisions, laptops, and cell phones.
- Hobbies – A hobby is such a great addition to our self-care routine because it allows us to focus on an activity that brings us joy. Whether you love puzzles, gardening, crafts, reading, or cooking there is a hobby out there for everyone.
Journey of Grief: Online Support Group
The journey of grief can be difficult and emotional. Although this is a process that we are sometimes forced to work through we do not have to take this journey alone. This online group, sponsored by Pike County Hospice, is intended to provide resources and support to all of those that are preparing to begin this journey, currently going through the journey of grief, and those that have experienced this journey in the past. Through support and sharing we can navigate this journey together. Please find us on Facebook and begin to experience the love and support that we all need.